Monday, September 17, 2012

Another coaching/practice session = light bulb moment

Hello there - happy Monday!

Mom installed the 'bark to text' program on her laptop so I can post while she's at work. Clever human, my mom. At times.

Yesterday we had a chance to take another run at the requirements for the therapy team evaluation, which is 6 days away now.

Mom and I worked with Debb and Mary, who are fabulous by the way (such great treats and hugs and pets!) on what we will be required to do next Sunday during our evaluation.

So, Mom and I are working on "out for a walk"  and "neutral dog" when Mary points out to Mom that when she talks to me while we are walking, I pay close attention and don't wander off or get ahead of her. That I pay very close attention to her and I key off her voice/verbal commands.

I could see the light bulb turn on for Mom. And if you think about it, it makes complete sense. I am mostly Border Collie and herding dogs are experts in working off verbal cues as we may not be able to see the person giving us the command. When Mom speaks, I listen. It's instinct for me. I am so glad that Mary was able to tell this to her as it helped to make a few troublesome exercises much easier.

Debb gave us some good pointers too. That rubbing my chest really calms me down, not to tug on the leash, and to be sure my tail is up when I am standing up for inspection. And Debb gives the best restraining hugs too!

So now, we just have to practice, practice, practice. We are cautiously optimistic about our evaluation on the 23rd. Keep your paws crossed for us!

That's all for now folks - sniff ya later!

Paws out,

Sammy


No comments:

Post a Comment