Saturday, August 28, 2010

Welcome to the Epicurial Dog Blog

Hello!

Welcome to the Epicurial Dog blog!

I am Sammy, a border collie mix that decided to adopt a human, Delynn about six years ago. Dee and I adopted Callie, another border collie mix, about a month later. Soon after Callie Delynn started dating a "coyote" named Chris, but he looks like a human to me. We have now added a lab/pit bull terrier mix to our pack, Sophie. She's a good enough considering she's not a border collie, after all.

Well anyway, to the point of this blog. My mom and Chris went to Paris in 2005 and since then they've been really into cooking good food. Not "haute cuisine", but good food. Like fondue, some great French recipes from Joel Robeshon's cookbook "Simply French" and other recipes they have found either online or through magazines such as "Wine Spectator" or "Food and Wine" magazine.


Now I was a stray for the first part of my life, so I can appreciate the idea of sampling something before you eat it. When I was a stray it was to avoid eating something that would make you sick later on. Now that I have a home and a mom who loves to cook, I am given the luxury of sampling to appreciate the delicate intricacies that is human cooking.  And who better to pass judgment on human food than an animal whose sense of smell is exponentially greater than that of a humans? After all, 90% of tasting something lies within the nose.

As a way of introduction to the blog, I will give a review of my first dish that my human Delynn ever served me: Brazilian Pizza


Actually, she didn't mean to serve it to me, but she left it out on the stove and Callie and I helped ourselves. We are dogs after all. get over it.


Basically, it was delicious! Although the crust was store bought, it was thin as to not interfere with the flavors of the pizza. Let's move onto the sauce, which was white - Alfredo based to be exact. This mild, creamy and heavy sauce paired well with the two spicy meats, hot sausage and raspberry-chipotle braised chicken. It was topped with layers of mozzarella, provolone, and Parmesan cheese. The creaminess of the cheeses and the sauce balanced the spicy meats. Plus, it was consumed along side some excellent South American Merlots and Cabernet Sauvignons whose extremely fruity and lush flavors paired beautifully with the pizza.


I give it four paws up!

No comments:

Post a Comment